How To Replace A Lost Medicare Card
Like most forms of ID, your Medicare Card can easily get lost. But, obtaining a new Medicare Card from Social Security is very easy, and completely free. Here’s how to replace a lost Medicare Card.
- Order Online: You can visit the Medicare Card Replacement section of Social Security’s website and apply for a new card online. Cards that are ordered online will be mailed to you within 30 days of your application. However, they will only be mailed to the address you have on file at Social Security. If you choose to go this route, you will need to have the following information handy:
- Your last (exact) payment amount, or the month and year you last received payment (for those who have received benefits in the past year).
- Your name (exactly as it appears on your most recent Social Security card.
- Your date of birth.
- Your Social Security number.
- Your Place of Birth
- Mother’s Maiden Name
- And a phone number to best reach you at.
- Call Social Security: You can also call Social Security, toll free, to order a replacement Medicare Card. The phone number for Social Security is 1-800-772-1213. Phone service is available M-F from 7am-7pm. When you call to order a replacement card, you will be prompted to answer important questions, many of which are listed above. So have those handy. You should receive a new Medicare Card within 30 days of your phone call, however if you need proof of Medicare sooner, you can request a letter which will be mailed to you within 10 business days.
- Go to Your Local Social Security Office: If you need immediate proof of Medicare for a doctor or prescription, you can always visit your local Social Security office.
As with all of your Medicare needs, Plan Medicare agents are standing by to help you out with all of your Medicare questions and issues. Give us a call today! 516-900-7877