Medicare Part B is offered by the government and overseen by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid services. Part B covers doctor services, outpatient care, medical supplies and preventive services.

Who is eligible for Medicare Part B?

Any U.S. citizen or permanent, legal U.S. resident, who is (or are turning) 65 years old, can receive Medicare Part B. There are also some exceptions for people who are under the age of 65 and who have certain disabilities or health conditions who can also receive Medicare Part B.

How to sign up for Medicare Part B?

Most people automatically be signed up for Medicare Part B during their Initial Enrollment Period (IEP). If you are automatically enrolled, your Medicare card will arrive in the mail 3 months prior to your 65th birthday. If you chose to delay Part B enrollment, due to a special circumstance (such as staying on an employer plan), you can enroll in Part B during a Special Enrollment Period (SEP). The first place to start is by contacting Social Security and filling out this form.

If you did not sign up for Medicare Part B when you were first eligible, and you do not have a special circumstance (SEP) to enroll midstream, you will need to sign up during the General Enrollment Period (GEP), which is January 1st- March 31st of each year. If you enroll during GEP, your Part B coverage will begin the month after you enroll during the GEP.

CALL: 516-900-7877Book an AppointmentDiscussion on Medicare Part B in New York

How much does Medicare Part B cost?

Medicare Part B recipients pay a monthly Part B premium. The price of the Part B premium is dependent on the your annual income (as indicated on your individual or joint tax return). The standard Part B premium amount in 2024 is $174.70. Most people pay the standard Part B premium amount however if your modified adjusted gross income as reported on your IRS tax return from 2 years ago is above a certain amount, you’ll pay the standard premium amount and an Income Related Monthly Adjustment Amount (IRMAA). IRMAA is an extra charge added to your premium.

Medicare Part B coverage includes

Medicare Part B does not cover

Doctor services

Part B Excess Charges

Ambulance services

Prescription Drugs not covered under Part B (Pharmacy)

Nursing services

Eye examinations or eyeglasses


Hearing aids or being fitted for one

Durable medical equipment

Most dental care

Preventive services to prevent illness

Prescription drugs under limited conditions (doctor’s office or hospital outpatient setting)

Also, it’s important to know that there is a deductible that individuals are required to pay before Medicare begins to pay their share of all services covered by Medicare Part B. After the deductible is paid, recipients pay 20% of what Medicare deems to be a “reasonable charge” while Medicare pays the remaining 80%. In 2024, the deductible amount is $240.

Supplemental Plans are available to cover the costs of these limitations associated with Medicare Part B. If you have any questions in regards to Medicare Plan B or are interested in additional information about Supplemental Plans please contact one of our Medicare advisors at